Ford Probe FAQ
Ford Probe Forums - Performance
Note: You must be a registered user and logged in to post messages. login | register
Author Topic: KLZE swap cost?
rob93 Posted on 2003-02-14 at 19:19:20
For those who've taken the ZE pnge, what did it cost for the insta? I stand the motor itself shod n and $1300. And saddly I can't do any work myself,as I live in an appartment.
38 Responses
Author Response
Rob Baker Posted on 2003-02-14 at 21:09:03
Yeah...I'd like to know as well. That, and is it a swap for sixers, four bangers or able for both?

Tygerr Posted on 2003-02-15 at 10:15:16
It's an exact swap for the sixers, 4-cyl need to do some changes to their engine placement, but still they can do it. I was on probetalk the other day, they were talking about the KFZE, which is not the KLZE. It's a 2.0L v-6 as opposed to the KLZE's 2.5, it's mainly used as an engine upgrade for the mazda miata, as it's exactly like the KLZE but cheaper and of course, not as fast.

raynfall Posted on 2003-02-15 at 17:08:29
FSZE is a nice swap for 4 bangers. Aside from doing all your own work there's no cost effective way to get the KLZE into the v6 bay. Yoiu need a whole V^ front end as well. So unless you have a very nice custom 4 banger that you just don't wanna part with it's not something to consider. I'd bet an engine swap would be good for about a grand. And you'll want the ZE ECU as well.

Rob Baker Posted on 2003-02-15 at 18:15:53
Is the FSZE a 4 or 6? whats the best engine with the least amount of dicking with my tranny/drivetrain ect...pretty much so I can keep as much of the junk I've already got.

raynfall Posted on 2003-02-16 at 11:58:40
The FSZE is the easiest swap into a 4 banger chassis. I don't drive a 4 banger so I haven't looked into it all that much. But go to probetalk or MX6 and search on it and I'm sure you'll find tons of useful info. If you try to get the KLZE into that engine bay there's tons of stuff you need. All the motor mounts, headers, exhausts, trannies and such rfom the V6 PGT/MX6. It's a pain.

Rob Baker Posted on 2003-02-16 at 18:28:28
what kind of power increase can I expect?...

raynfall Posted on 2003-02-16 at 22:38:18
160 hp and decent torque

Hatch47 Posted on 2003-02-24 at 16:29:39
There is also another option for a 4 cyl. swap its basicly the same motor with higher compression. It cranks out 170hp, I don't know how much torque. The downside?? It costs more than the KLZE.

Rob Baker Posted on 2003-02-24 at 18:12:32
cost is of little to no worry...where can I pick up one of these engines and how difficult is the swap?

Tygerr Posted on 2003-02-24 at 22:47:28
for real, why haven't i ever heard about this? Guess theres too many sixers out there and not enough 4 bangers. Maybe it's just because i've never looked into it.

raynfall Posted on 2003-02-24 at 23:15:11
What's this other engine? To my knowledge the FSZE was theonly option. Maybe my HP numbers are a bit low, but I think that's the only option for the 2nd gen 4 banger. Now first gen has a few more options.... But that's a whole nother thing. You say higher compression. That's exactly what the FSZE engine is. A higher compression, better flowing engine then the FS03. Just as the KLZE is a better breathing, higher compression version of the KL03.

Hatch47 Posted on 2003-03-24 at 18:58:11
There is a higher compression 4 cyl that puts out 170 hp but plan on spending about 2k for the motor alone, I thought about buying one for a while but now I'm going to get a GT, the 4 just doesn't have enough torque.

raynfall Posted on 2003-03-25 at 23:38:26
The FSZE is the 4 banger you are talking about. 165 hp and similar torque. Basically competes with a KL03 engine stock.

Hatch47 Posted on 2003-03-26 at 19:02:47
I don't think it would be much of a threat, it just doesn't have the torque.

raynfall Posted on 2003-03-28 at 17:03:31
It has tq similar to the KL03. And is lighter. And the base model is the lightest car. I'd almost bet a stock GT would lose to a FSZE base all being equal.

Hatch47 Posted on 2003-03-29 at 21:11:14
You would have to compair the FSZE to the KLZE to make all equil.

raynfall Posted on 2003-03-30 at 12:35:26
I was talking about swaps for 4 FS03 guys. If you were to take the money necasary to fit a KLZE in a FS03 you could easily make the FS outperform it. Whether we talk a turboed FS03 or a modded FSZE. If the question is what do I do to my 4 cyclinder Probe/6, the KLZE is never really an option.

Hatch47 Posted on 2003-04-07 at 18:54:58
Well I have the six so I would naturally go with the ZE swap, if I had any trust in the quality of those motors.

raynfall Posted on 2003-04-07 at 22:11:58
A turboed KL03 can be moer potent. The KLZEs have some valve issues. Particularly in cylinder #6. The oiling issue that is in KL03s becomes more of an issue in em

RioGT5spd Posted on 2003-04-21 at 17:41:19
Yeah but turboing the KL03 sounds like a nightmare unless you like spending several hours welding.

raynfall Posted on 2003-04-22 at 09:52:04
It can be done without welding using rubber elbows to attach piping. It need not be welded. Perhaps not as pretty. But sometiems that happens.

RioGT5spd Posted on 2003-04-22 at 15:14:32
If your going to turbo your KL03 you WILL need to do welding if you want to make it more than a couple of houses down the block.

ZE bad ass Posted on 2003-06-10 at 18:47:32
I just recently finished the FSZE swap... with additional mods I've got about 170-180 HP and 180+ torque. it was a bitch and I had to have a whole custom set or wireing harness' made through painless wireing. The ECM was the most difficult thing to find and it didn't really wanna run with the stocker.

ZE bad ass Posted on 2003-06-10 at 18:48:57
and all in all it ran me about 200 for the engine since I got it out of a smashed out MX6...but the labor for the guys helpin me out was a little pricey since it took a whole damn week.

raynfall Posted on 2003-06-20 at 22:55:54

raynfall Posted on 2003-06-21 at 10:40:13
BTW the FSZE will not make 180 ft/lbs and it is EXTREMELY difficult to get into that car. Some of Probetalk's best and brightest have not pulled off this swap. On a side note I'm assuming you are guessing flywheel HP since the FS is only about 160 flywheel stock.

ZE bad ass Posted on 2003-06-21 at 19:42:12
dude...if the brightest on probetalk happened to be Ford, Mazda, Mopar and/or Nissan certified mechnics, then I would have to believe you that this is a tough swap...but I'm guessing they're not! I have over 20 certified mechanics from various Blevins dealerships in St. Lawrence county. Anyow, the mechanic that pulled most of my swap has pushed Neons to 250 horses without FI, anything can be done when you have an understanding of compression and timing...

ZE bad ass Posted on 2003-06-21 at 19:47:40
as far as the pics...well I gotta say that aside from the block, head and IM, it looks the same as the FS-02 that comes stock in a 4, and since the kid who wrecked the MX-6 put a crack in the valve cover and screwed that all up,...well it's just a good thing that the valve covers are of identical bolt pattern!...but I'll get pics asap

raynfall Posted on 2003-06-22 at 00:06:46
Oh don't give me that certified mechanic bullshit.... No certified Mazda mechanic will be able to touch that engine since it's not a US engine and they won't know how to deal with it. A lot of things are set up far different in the Jap counterparts of our cars. But whatever, I'm sure the mechanics at Blevins know far more then the people who have been working on Probes/6s exclusively for years.....

raynfall Posted on 2003-06-22 at 00:09:23
And unless that Neon has nitrous I'll pull the ole BS flag on that one too. My friend Corey's Neon is an extremely fast extremely well modded N/A Neon. Everything you can imagine has been modded, all through custom machining. Cams, giher compresion pistons, better fueling, electrical, and ECU adjustments. He's nowhere near 200 @ the wheels.

ZE bad ass Posted on 2003-06-22 at 21:05:03
this comes in three parts! well I don't know what to tell you then...really, I can't say that I can ease the pain...or something like that. like you said in a previous don't know that much about the FS side of the ZE swap. the only thing that I can say could be a bitch would be the wiring and ECU and such things...but if you've got more than the one brain cell it takes to hold your ass hole shut...thats not too hard either. Now to the mech. side of the current argument! Now, ther are classes that mechanics can take that deal with the euro and jap sides of the cars...and one of the mazda mechs and one from each crysler garage have taken the people who are havin trouble with the swap...tell em to go buy a JDM video tape, watch it and get back to the's not that tough if you have a half a clue as to what the hell it is you're trying to pull off...exclusively for years?...what, do they have absolutely NO lives what so ever? I mean I love the ride I got, but Im not going to have only it for years...probes and 6's are kinda like the bottom rung of the food chain if ya know what I mean! finally...part three! a 1998 neon EX, DOHC, pulling down 247 horses before a sqeeze. i've ridden in it, it'll scare you and I've seen the dyno pulls to prove it. And no...everything I can immagine has absolutely NOT been modded on you freinds car cause I've seen what a 100% modded engine looks like, it would blow your mind...we're not talkin 20-something mechanics lookin to make cute little cars here...we're talking experienced mechanics who have been around cars for more years than you've been on this don't tell me what I've seen sweet pea, ok?

raynfall Posted on 2003-06-22 at 22:31:11
You know, luckily enough I read all your posts and have decided it's a waste of my time to respond to any more then one. Sure.... you have an FSZE.... But I'm sure you're camera is "broke" or "lost" And then you claim it looks the same as the A spec FS.... Sure it does :) Obviously you haven't seen the FSZE. It's quite rare anyway. And is not similar looking to the FS02. But since you're mechanic pulled off this swap why don't you let me know what mods he needed to pull this off other then "he changed some wiring" I can assure you that once my KLZE swap is complete here I'll have pics to back it up. I already have the engine pics and am now waiting on the garage to get a F150 out of it t get mine in. Either way you've had a beautiful history of stories you can in no way prove. The first probe or probes, that had the first gen engine swaps.... sure they did. And then the destruction of them just before you could get pics.... How sad :( And then when I found my Sprint this garage you work at got one a mere few weeks later. Yet you couldn't supply any piece of info to validate it was there. You even claimed it was a color that was never made...(They only made red like mine) And now this. This is the most unbelievable story yet. Every now and then someone on Probetalk pops up claiming the FSZE swap but with no pics, or dynos, or vids, and refusing to give where they are so someone can go look at it. And everyone pulls the bullshit flag since everyone knows it's near impossible and there are parts of the j spec car that you need for the swap that you just can't get. (Parts you never listed) And whether or not you want to believe it there are people on those boards that know more then any certified mechanic you'll find. Simply because they only need to know one car well. Not 20 or more. You didn't know what an FSZE was until I mentioned it. You can act like you're car is cool, but you sent me pics of it, (So you do have a camera), and it's the riciest Probe I've ever seen. I'm sorry dude, I don't believe a word you say. And until you can come up with some sort of evidence to back it up I won't. I can send you some links to pics of the engine if you feel like PSing it into your car like you did with that dyno you sent me. At least if you'd spent some more time on it it might not have been so obvious. If you're gonna lie at least spend a few moments coming up with the needed info so you don't sound stupid. And Corey's Neon is considered one of the fastest N/A neons in the nation. So I'm sure he knows what he's doing :)

raynfall Posted on 2003-06-22 at 22:34:20
And to get this back on track...My KLZE update... The garage that blew up my KL03 is putting my ZE in this week. They are pulling off my ZE IM and putting on the 03 IM grr..... But whatever. I can swap it back the way it was easier then explain to them that the ZE intake works fine. So hopefully I can get some pics up next week. I miss my Probe. :)

Dagger Posted on 2003-07-03 at 11:08:48
Hi all, I messed up my KL03 engine and have a KLZE sitting at the garage waiting to be fitted the engine cost me 600 UK which I thought was good I am waiting to find out how difficult and expensive it is to fit. I have been told that I may need to purchase an exhaust manifold aswell and there may be a problem with the EGR connection. Will wait and see, it will be started next week and this is where I find out it wont go...

tazman76 Posted on 2006-11-02 at 10:49:35
actually the klze only cost about 700-800 dollars. I found one on ebay.

tomcat56 Posted on 2007-01-10 at 20:23:59
i did my hole swap for $1300 with header and cold air and every thing you need to do. it really fast it kill civic and intagers with a (20b swap) it is a really swap for the money. u can e-mail if u have a Q

95slowgt Posted on 2008-03-10 at 00:31:41
u say a neon rt dohc making that much wheel power it is possible with turbo or squeeze before i bought my pgt which is a klze yes turbooooooo 5400 dollars worth i had a 91 crx sir also known as a b16a swap witha turboo the size of texas well here was the swap a jdm b16a from password jdm je 8:1 pistons eagle rods type r cams skunk 2 intake mani turbonetics tublar turbo mani and a t3/t4 hybrid and a aem stand alone and i was only making 324whp and would spin through 4th in vtec so i doubt a neon would make that much power with out squeeze

95slowgt Posted on 2008-03-10 at 00:35:07
ryanfall why are u putt on ur a spec mani do u own a 96 97 if so no egr setup on the jspec is y but i own a 95 so i can easily get it inspected by my friend ) my self being a inspection tech lol

JoniOBush Posted on 2009-11-22 at 12:40:21
God love google, fine stuff. Will read up and hopefully have something good to say. Have an excellent day. Joni

turn on images to use this navigation bar ©1999 all rights reserved
82 ms