Ford Probe FAQ
Ford Probe Forums - Audio
Note: You must be a registered user and logged in to post messages. login | register
Author Topic: Subwoofer sound
steveo Posted on 2003-01-24 at 00:49:46
Thanks to those who helped me with questions on wiring my subs before, but I have n into a new pem now. My subs do not put out neay the sound they shod. They worked 10x better in my old geo then they do in my probe which baffles me. I have the same deck, amp and subs, but they just dont sound how they shod. I do have to n both my remote wires for my amps (factory one, and sub amp) from the same wire off my deck, cod this be causing pems? I have so much hope for the sound system in this car and I can't fige out whats wrong with it, anybody have any ideas for me? thanks.
14 Responses
Author Response
Rob Baker Posted on 2003-01-24 at 11:58:17
Is it a matter of matter of car noise(body rattle and plastic chatter from the subs) or do the speakers just sound bad period? Hopefully it's body noise, that can be fixed with a new placement of the speakers. I put my two subs on the rear shelf face down, the whole trunk becomes a cabinet that way and it gets a nice low, deep, clean sounding hit on the subs.

steveo Posted on 2003-01-24 at 20:13:10
It's not a matter of car noise, they dont come anything close to how they sounded in my other car, not even enough to cause any body rattle, unless I turn it up to a volume that blows speakers. Any other ideas?

Rob Baker Posted on 2003-01-25 at 19:06:22
They could just be underpowered. The Remote wire could be the problem...I don't know how you would go about wiring another Remote wire...but thats probably what you're going to have to do. Sorry if I wasn't more help before...I hope I was this time.

weapon01 Posted on 2003-01-28 at 11:32:33
the remote wire is basically a switch for your amp to know if your radio is on. its either on, or off, and i don't think it requires much power.. i really can't think of what your problem would be.. if its an exact duplicate of what you had before it should be the same, (with the exception of speaker placement perhaps, which wouldn't create the problem you speak of.) other than that.. maybe something was damaged in the transfer? i hope not.. and double/triple check all your connections.. make sure they're tight and what not. sorry, all i can think of.

PLX Posted on 2003-02-17 at 15:39:11
did you take you subs out of your box at anytime? if you did then it is possible that you crossed the wires hooking it back up and that will cause you subs to sound like they have hardly any power going to them. Also do you have them bridged? That will make a big difference.

raynfall Posted on 2003-02-18 at 15:24:28
I agree with PLX. Double check your wiring to make sure it's right. We all make mistakes. One remote wire works fine for multiple amps. I have 2 running running fom my wire. I think a Probe's more spacious then a Geo so it should take a bit more to make it sound the same, but then again you claim a loss that's 10 fold and that's not right. Start with wires.

Michael Lindquist Posted on 2003-03-06 at 11:06:41
Ok people here's the problem if you didn't find a wirning problem then this is your problem. You say you had this system in a geo and now you you put it in your probe. Geo smaller trunk space bigger sound and moved more air. Probe larger trunk space more air has to moved for sound to travel better. Try a bigger subwoofer box or a bigger sub

Rob Baker Posted on 2003-03-06 at 11:23:06
My subs wont even hit when the wires are crossed up, it just throws the "safety" switch in the amp. Mich has a point too...If you don't want to get a bigger box or bigger sub try repositioning them in the trunk. I've got 2 10's and 2 8's mounted on the shelf pointed down, and the other four 10's are in the trunk, two against the rear wall facing forward and the other 2 facing bakwards against the back seat.

hailster Posted on 2003-03-06 at 11:52:49
I have my 2 12's facing forward in the rear of the trunk. Only problem is the rattle so I am going to move them up to the front of the trunk or move and face them forward to begin with. If it doesn't sound good I'll turn them around and face them towards the rear of the car. If it still doesn't sound good I'll move it back to the original spot.

hailster Posted on 2003-03-06 at 11:55:58
I have my 2 12's facing forward in the rear of the trunk. Only problem is the rattle so I am going to move them up to the front of the trunk or move and face them forward to begin with. If it doesn't sound good I'll turn them around and face them towards the rear of the car. If it still doesn't sound good I'll move it back to the original spot. However I would check your wiring. Also make sure that none of your cables are pinched or miswired. Check the gain on your amp and make sure it is turned up half-way or more and the settings on your deck. That's all i can think of

Brennononon Posted on 2003-12-08 at 16:05:19
I had a 93 grand am and had the same system, 2 jenson 10s that now sound alot weaker in my probe than they did in my grand am. Would a bigger box really help with the sound? Also, I have them currently in a prefabricated standard dual sub box, if I built another box to enclose that one would I get the same effect as moving them into a whole other box? Well, let me know. Thanks... PS - What's the fastest, easiest, cheapest, best way to sound dampen a probe?

Raynfall Posted on 2003-12-09 at 17:05:57
Subs need a box designed for them. If I put my subs in a bigger box it would hurt their performance. Another box around yours won't help and unless you maed your box yourself and designed it wrong your box should be fine.

JHew84 Posted on 2004-01-03 at 11:44:02
raynfall is right, getting a bigger box won't do anything, subs have a certain amount of airspace that they perform best in, and that is airspace INSIDE the box, not outside, he should not notice a HUGE difference in sub performance just because of the change in car, the quality MIGHT change a LITTLE bit, but not enough for him to complain about it... i haven't really heard a worthwhile answer to his question in here lol, my guess would be you just need to adjust your amp, maybe turn the gain up a lil bit? get back to us when you've looked over all the knobs on the amp and adjusted some of them...

Posted on 2005-03-29 at 22:07:17
another draw back for probes and subs are the tail lights, they rattle super bad, blast your subs with the hatch closed and go look at the tail lights they shake super bad

godbear Posted on 2005-03-30 at 14:38:18
Did you change boxes at all? if so that is part of the problem. subs are designed to go into a specific size box.If you alter that they don't work correctly.Now as far as which direction you position them that is up to you as bass doesn't come out of a box in any one direction the whole box produces the sound so it really doesn't matter what direction they point.The only other thing is something is wired up incorrectly wether it's backwards on the speaker or terminals. or possibly even the rca cable being bad something is not wired the way it should be. Do you have a good ground probes are notorious for getting a bad ground off of as well.

turn on images to use this navigation bar ©1999 webcentrix.net all rights reserved
141 ms